Filming and Photography on MTA

We welcome filming and photography on most MTA property that is open to the public, including CityLink, LocalLink, Light RailLink, Metro SubwayLink, Commuter Bus and MARC. This includes photography and filming for personal, non-commercial use that does not interfere with operations or safety. However, some activities require prior notice, a permit and insurance.

When Do I Need a Permit?

If you wish to film or photograph on MTA property or vehicles while engaged in a commercial, educational or non-profit activity, a signed permit and acceptable insurance certificates are required. Submit your permit application (see below) at least 14 business days prior to your proposed first shoot. Fees may be required.

News media: We ask that you provide MTA's Office of Media Relations advance notice before filming. Media personnel are allowed to ride for free, but may not interfere with the safe operation of the vehicle or board a vehicle at capacity. You must contact us to arrange an interview with an operator. See contact information below.

Film and Photography application form is available on our Forms Page.

Free Speech Policy

Download Free Speech Policy
Download Free Speech Activity Form

MDOT Public Information Act (PIA)

For information on MDOT's Public Information Act, please visit MDOT's PIA Webpage