If you haven’t taken our MARC Growth and Transformation Plan online survey yet, you're in luck—we’re giving you even more time!
We want to hear from not only our current riders but even more importantly those of you who want to ride but the current service doesn’t fit your needs (times, days of week, origins and destinations). We value and need your input as we develop a vision for future MARC service. We've extended the deadline to December 18! Learn more about the plan and please take the online survey at mta.maryland.gov/marc-growth-plan today!
The MARC Growth and Transformation Plan will update and expand upon the MARC Cornerstone Plan, last published in 2019, which provided strategic priorities for the system and the capital investment needed to achieve those initiatives. This long-range plan synthesizes MTA plans, policies, and reports with performance data, local and national trends, and stakeholder input. MTA is comprehensively analyzing this information to create targeted recommendations for growth and investment that coordinate with the needs of the transit system overall.
Plan Objectives – Identify a vision and strategies for MARC that reflects:
- Current commuter travel patterns (post-COVID)
- MARC’s critical infrastructure needs
- MARC’s long-term service objectives based on market analysis and public input
- Improvements needed for an equitable and socially just service that meets the needs of the community
- Available federal funding opportunities such as through the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA)
The MARC Growth and Transformation Plan analysis will shape refreshed vision and goals, findings from market analysis and equity assessments, long-term service objectives, recommendations for necessary capital improvements, and implementation strategies for MARC. It will also incorporate requirements of the 2022 Maryland Regional Rail Transformation Act (House Bill 778/ Senate Bill 524). The Plan will encompass the existing MARC system and potential extensions in Delaware, Virginia, and Western Maryland.
MARC Train Service is a commuter rail system comprised of the Brunswick Line, Camden Line and Penn Line. These three routes provide direct access to Washington, D.C. along with connections to Baltimore-Washington Thurgood Marshall Airport, inter-city bus services via Penn Station in Baltimore, and several direct connections to Amtrak’s inter-city services. The Camden and Brunswick Lines operate on weekdays, while the Penn Line operates seven days a week.
Public Engagement Opportunities
- A public survey will be conducted in Fall 2023 to collect input on a vision for future MARC service.
- Public outreach will take place in Fall 2024 to share with the public MARC’s service objectives and capital planning.
- Public feedback on previous related studies will also be considered.
Upcoming Project Events
- Study Kick-Off - Fall 2023
- Public Survey on the Vision for MARC Service will be available in fall 2023
Contact the project team at email@example.com with any questions on the study.
Related Plans and Resources