Washington Metrorail Red Line closure: Silver Spring MARC
Washington Metrorail Silver Spring-Fort Totten Closure
Using MARC Train as an alternative
Welcome to MARC Train! We are glad to have Washington Metro passengers use our service due to the November 27 - December 8 closure of the Red Line between Silver Spring and Fort Totten. Riding MARC is easy -- but there are some important things to know before you travel.
The MARC Brunswick Line stations that will be most affected by the Metro closure are Kensington and Silver Spring. While we are prepared to welcome extra customers on MARC, our capacity is limited. It is likely that trains will be crowded and you may have to stand. Boarding will be stopped on trains when they reach a safe capacity. Having a ticket does not guarantee a space or passage on a train; you may have to wait to take a later train. Also, please note that with reduced service, there may be crowding and extended waits on the Metro platform at Union Station - Metrobus and DC Circulator may provide better alternatives to reach your final destination. Please allow extra time to get to your destination and arrive at your boarding station early. The information that follows is very important and will help make your trip on MARC more enjoyable.
The Brunswick Line operates 9 trains toward Union Station in the morning and 9 trains back in the evening. Please note that not all trains stop at Kensington station and that morning trains headed to Washington can leave Silver Spring up to five minutes early. There is also no MARC Train Brunswick Line service on the weekend.
The one-way fare from Kensington or Silver Spring to Union Station is $5.00. MARC does not sell round-trip tickets; please purchase two one-way tickets (tickets are valid in either direction). Multi-ride tickets are sold as well – a 5 day weekly ticket is $37.50 and a monthly ticket is $135.00. Multi-ride tickets (but not one-way tickets) are honored on Washington Metrobus and Montgomery County RideOn for complementary travel.
There are three ways to purchase MARC tickets:
- The Silver Spring TRiPS Commuter Store, located in the Paul Sarbanes Transit Center, hours are Monday-Friday 5:00am to 6:00pm. The store is located on Level 2 of the Sarbanes Transit center: exit the westbound MARC platform using the walkway that connects it to the Transit Center, turn right, and ride the escalator up one level to reach the store. TRiPS accepts cash, all major credit cards, transit debit cards and Electronic SmartBenefits. New customers will need to visit Commuter Direct's website to register to use SmartBenefits at the store.
- Commuter Direct staff will sell MARC tickets at Kensington station from 5:30am to 9:00am Monday-Friday. Like the TRiPS store, they will accept cash, all major credit cards, transit debit cards and Electronic SmartBenefits. New customers will need to visit Commuter Direct's website to register to use SmartBenefits at the store.
- One-way and monthly tickets may be purchased from Amtrak QuickTrack ticket machines located at Union Station (multiple locations), Silver Spring (adjacent to the elevator on the westbound platform) and Kensington (inside the station building). These machines accept credit cards only.
- Visit www.mta.commuterdirect.com to purchase one-way, 5 day weekly, and monthly tickets. The website accepts credit cards and also allows use of SmartBenifits through a WMATA SmartTrip card. Please note that MARC does not offer E-ticketing; all tickets purchased online must be mailed. Allow 3-4 business days for delivery of tickets ordered online. The e-mailed receipt that you receive after purchasing tickets online will not be honored for travel.
- Kensington – The station has limited parking, which is typically full by 7:30am. It is recommended that passengers arrange to be dropped off or consider walking or biking. RideOn bus routes 4, 5, and 33 serve Kensington MARC station. Additional spaces are available at Kensington City Hall, 3 blocks away (3710 Mitchell Street).
- Silver Spring – Parking is available in one of the many garages located near the station. Parking rates vary by garage. There is no designated MARC parking lot. Numerous Metrobus and RideOn routes serve the Silver Spring Transit Center.
What to expect during your ride and other information
- Please arrive at your station at least 10 minutes prior to train departure.
- Walk, do not run, to the train platform.
- At Kensington Station, please exercise caution when walking across the tracks. Use only the designated crosswalk, look both ways before crossing, and never cross in front of or behind a stopped train. If you see a train approaching, do not cross in front of the train – trains are not like cars and buses and cannot stop quickly.
- Please have your ticket ready to present to the Conductor when boarding the train.
- Need more information? Contact MARC Train by email or call 1-800-325-7245. You can also like us on Facebook (Maryland Transit Administration) or follow us on Twitter @mtamaryland
Thank you for riding MARC Train. We hope that you enjoy your trip!